Guidelines for Insurance Coverage for Volunteer Drivers and Their Vehicles in Road Race Events
The standard USA Cycling race permit and insurance coverage does not cover non-owned motor vehicles (that is, not owned by the race promoter) or drivers in the case of an “in race incident.” Thus, NEBRA highly recommends that each volunteer who may drive in a vehicle caravan (such as lead car or follow car) in a NEBRA road race event should purchase non-owned motor vehicle insurance coverage that will cover the driver and vehicle being used for this purpose.
This is an optional insurance package offered by USA Cycling, and the race director will need to submit the additional paperwork and fees to USA Cycling. There are steps that individual volunteers must take to coordinate this coverage for themselves.
The following step-by-step list will assist both volunteers and race directors in acquiring this coverage.
Driver (30 days before the race event):
- Confirm with the race promoter that this optional insurance package will be purchased to provide coverage on race day and confirm whether the promoter or the volunteer will pay for this coverage ($45 per vehicle).
- Coordinate with the Race Director to run a MVR check. This can be done through USA Cycling:
- Provide a copy of your auto insurance card to the race director.
- Include policy limits if your insurance card does not include this data.
- The MVR check will be valid for 24 months after issue for the purpose of obtaining Non-Owned Motor Vehicle Insurance through USA Cycling; you may submit the same report to the promoter of each race you volunteer for.
Promoter (30 days before the race event):
- Review requirements for this coverage:
- Notify race volunteer drivers about the requirements and schedule for submitting paperwork for this coverage for your race.
- Get driving record reports from all your volunteer drivers. Have at least 1 spare driver & approved driver record available for the possible no-show volunteer on race day.
- Have copies of auto insurance cards for all potential volunteer drivers.
- Get VIN numbers of all vehicles expected to be used in caravans.
- Fill out this form for cars scheduled to be used in caravans. If more than 2, provide same data for additional drivers and vehicles in separate Excel spreadsheet.
- Fill out this form for all motorcycles scheduled to be used in caravan. If more than 2, provide same data for additional drivers and vehicles in separate Excel spreadsheet.
- Submit all the above data to USA Cycling no later than 7 days before your event.
- Confirm with USA Cycling all your listed drivers are approved to drive.
- If a vehicle or driver listed on the permit is not available or must be replaced:
- If a vehicle listed on the permit is not available and another needs to be substituted, email a photo of the VIN # of the vehicle being used as a substitute to email@example.com with a note indicating a day-of-race substitution is taking place.
- If a driver listed on the permit is not available, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating (1) the name of the person on the original permit who cannot participate and (2) the name of the person on the driving record who will be the replacement.
Thanks to Gina Kavesh of the Washington State Bicycle Racing Association for creating and sharing this guide.